In today’s economy some of us have had to modify our vacationing traditions. The typical Vacation turned into a Staycation - where we stay and visit sights near our home to the Naycation - where we stay in our home and do nothing.
Wherever you are there always seems to be a sense of fate ~ something you can’t control; something that is meant to be. Do you believe in fate? I do and I hope you enjoy my fate and feel like you’re on a little private vacation yourself.
I believe “You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can’t forget. Those are your friends” (Author Unknown).
In the beginning phase of Twig Travel I had the wonderful opportunity to a form a friendship with Chef Roman Petrack. What a marvel he has turned out to be, and I hope you too will find what I found in his charismatic spirit.
Chef Roman Petrack is the owner and executive chef of Kangaroo Catering at http://www.kangaroocatering.com/. He was born in New Zealand as the son of a renowned patisserie and raised both in the Netherlands and Australia. Chef Roman graduated with honors from the Culinary Arts Institute in Tasmania, Australia where his talents led him to led him to work in award winning restaurants including the Owls’
Nest in Tasmania and the popular Michel's Restaurant http://www.michelsrestaurant.com/ which received the "Best Restaurant" award in North Queensland for three consecutive years.
Chef Roman now lives in Grand Rapids, Michigan and offers a variety of
services that cater to your individual needs with customized menus using fresh local produce, and organic as much as possible, in order to create a memorable dining experience for you and your guests.
Kangaroo Catering specializes in "home catering" including elegant sit down dinners, fun interactive parties, gourmet buffets and colorful cocktail parties. Customized weekly meal plans are also offered. These are prepared and cooked in your kitchen and left for you to enjoy complete with heating instructions. Who could ask for more?! I was so impressed that not only does Chef Roman tailor his catering to your wants and needs but he also has his own serving staff and rental details that truly makes your event even more memorable.
To simplify my life a little bit, I think I just might ask for one of Chef Romans gift certificates that he offers at www.kangaroocatering.com.
I may never be able to cook like Chef Roman, but I might as well enjoy a meal created by a wonderful friend and a little Naycation myself!
Grilled Jamaican Chicken served with a fresh mango, red onion and cilantro relish
Chicken and rub
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil
· 1 onion coarsely chopped
· 2 scallions coarsely chopped
· 1 large jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed
· 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
· 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
· 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
· 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
· 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (or ground)
· Pinch ground cloves
· 1 teaspoon ground allspice
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
· 4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in
· 4 drum sticks, skin on
NOTE - you may also remove the skin if you wish and may also use chicken breasts instead
· Puree all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor until almost smooth.
· Piece the chicken with a fork to make tiny holes. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish and rub the marinade into the chicken.
· Cover and refrigerate over night and preferably for up to 24 hours
· Preheat grill. Grill chicken on each side for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through.
Alternatively you may also seal the chicken on the stove top and finish it in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 15 minutes.
Mango, red onion and cilantro relish
· 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
· 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
· 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
· 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
· 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
· Salt and freshly ground pepper
· Combine the mangoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice in a bowl and gently mix. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Recipe by Chef Roman Petrack
My sincere thank you Chef Roman and may all of you enjoy!!!